Tuesday 3 August 2010

Asking difficult questions

The painting below was produced from observation from the college staircase landing, and memory, and shows a typical Whitechapel view. I had the painting taped to a wall. and was using masking tape to indicate my perspective vanishing lines and the horizon line.The aforementioned Head of School walked into the studio and I made the mistake of asking his advice about the perspective. Remember that by this time I no longer had the scene in front of me.
Obviously, in my first term at this school, and having my first conversation with this man, I was expecting an erudite reply, or at the very least a helpful remark.
His reply, with me hanging on every word?
"Why are you painting a Nineteenth Century picture?"
With that he turned round and walked out of the studio.
He didn't have a clue, or if he did, he preferred a smartarse remark to saying anything useful to me.

No comments: